My journey, beginning with that first Google search has led me to discover a lot of different reasons why natural birth is a healthy choice. But if you’re anything like I was, newly pregnant and wondering what in God’s name I had gotten myself into, you don’t want to be burdened with too much information about the risks and benefits off the bat. You just want to know how you are going to relieve pain in labor and how to ensure labor will be as short and as easy as it can be.
I started researching to see if I had other options: other medications or something else to act as an alternative to the epidural, and I found out about HypnoBirthing (The Mongan Method). A woman at my church had used The Mongan Method for the birth of her two daughters and she loaned me her book and cassette tapes. (Yes, tapes. It had been awhile.) I read through the book and thought the concept of eliminating the fear/tension/pain cycle made a lot of sense. But I did feel that I needed more than just a few relaxation tracks and a book about the method to help me prepare. That’s when I found Hypnobabies.
I was pleasantly surprised by how thorough the workbook was, with so much to learn about childbirth itself, and I also loved how specific the relaxation tools were. (Very specific to childbirth and not simply guided meditation.)
Hypnosis for childbirth did seem really strange to me at first, but I was willing to give it a shot. Five years later, I have two sweet children who I gave birth to comfortably without pain medication, and I still get funny looks when I tell people it was my choice to do it that way.
So here are just a few reasons why “going natural” can actually help you to have a faster, easier labor!
- Easier to listen to your body and to follow what it’s telling you. This is great way to speed things along.
- Having a clear head makes it easier to make decisions that need to be made.
- Birth without drugs intensifies the natural high. In the weeks following your baby’s birth, you need those good hormones.
- Hypnobabies moms are so relaxed that they are less likely to feel the need for drugs, even during the most powerful point of labor (called “transformation” in Hypnobabies). You are transforming into a mother and it’s the most wonderful part because you’ll meet your baby soon! Learning how powerful word choice is, is one of the most amazing aspects of Hypnobabies.
- Hypnobabies moms often report shorter, easier labors. About 70 percent report feeling very comfortable or pain-free throughout their births. Supporters of natural birth respect that the process can take awhile, but even when it does, Hypnobabies moms often feel that their births were much shorter than they actually were.
Maybe most moms feel an incredible high and are very confident after birth, but it’s my personal belief that receiving an epidural blocks out some of the good, natural hormones.
I don’t want anyone to think I’m saying, “you’re a better mom if you go natural.” There are some moms out there who really wanted a natural birth and didn’t get one for one reason or another. All moms doing all the things they do to nurture themselves and their children are amazing. I’m just saying that becoming a parent is one of the most life-changing events you will ever go through, and I believe that nature intends to give us a little extra nudge when we need it most.
When asking the question ‘why not just get the epidural?,’ the answers can be wide and varied. Choices in pregnancy and birth are yours to make, and are very personal decisions, but if you’ve realized there may be some reasons to consider an alternative to the epidural, you’re definitely onto something!